Sunday, July 9, 2017

Giant Star Block Wedding Quilt

On June 24th, just a few days before I was set to leave for vacation in Florida, my husband came home with an invitation to a wedding.  A wedding that would take place just 5 days after I got back!  Because a big wedding gift was not in our monthly budget, and because I believe in giving handmade gifts for such monumental occasions, I decided to see what I had in my stash to make a quilt.  I found 6 yards of a pretty cream calico.  Since I would have to make it quickly, I picked a simple pattern called the Giant Star Block Quilt from the blog In Color Order.  Best part, it only required me to pick up 8 fat quarters from my local quilt shop.  I cut the pieces and binding before leaving, and I'm so glad I did, because I came home from vacation (in summer, in FL) with a cold! 

I was sidelined for a few days before I could dive back in, but got back into it on Friday, where I got the blocks pieced, and the rows together.  Then yesterday I spent every single minute of my day stitching my butt off, to get it ready to take to the reception which started at 7:00pm last night.  With a little help from my amazing husband doing a bit of pinning the quilt sandwich, trimming googly threads, and pressing my binding, we, mostly managed to finish it on time.  I actually finished at 7:13, we pulled out of the driveway at 7:15, and got there at 7:30, with no one the wiser that we were late! 

No comments:

Post a Comment