I recently organized a "Life is Berry Sweet" Swap, themed around cheerful little strawberries. I had the good fortune to be crafting for the lovely kittykill. I know she has a red & yellow kitchen, and an overall 'Granny-Chic' design concept, so I decided to make her some granny inspired goodies.
I fell in love with an adorable potholder I saw on Ravelry, but the pattern was only available in a book that's out of print, so I decided to try to figure it out myself.
I started by looking on Youtube for a video showing how to make a mitered corner square. For mine I started with a chain of 52, then followed the video instructions, alternating colors every 2 rows. I made two of these squares, and then used the red yarn to hook them together along the edges to make it two layers thick. I added a basic shell border in red, along with a loop at the top, and found a pattern for a strawberry applique.
I liked the alternating stripes of white and green potholder so much that even though I planned to make some strawberry dishcloths (below), I decided to make a striped one too. I was partially afraid that kittykill might want to display her goodies, rather than use them, so I figured a spare dishcloth to actually use wouldn't go amiss. The pattern is one of my all time favorites, as it makes nice sturdy, but still pretty, dishcloths. It's available as a free Ravelry download. Fire Blossom Dishcloth.
I knew I would be making at least a few of these Granny Strawberry Dishcloths, before I started on the potholder. I made them earlier this summer for some friends, and just loved how they came out. The Granny triangle is a quick & easy pattern, but the stems can be a little confusing as you read the written pattern. I just used a pen & paper to sketch out what the directions were saying badly, and then winged it.
Finally I wanted to add a few more bits and bobs to the kitchen set. I thought a set of coasters might be fun, so I tried starting with a set based on a variation on a granny square, but I disliked how it was coming out. It didn't seem like it would make a good size coaster, and the bubble stitch used made it too bumpy to hold a drink on top of.
So I ended up taking the coaster I started and turned it into a trivet instead. I figured with a larger item like a pan, the slightly lumpy center wouldn't be as much of a problem as it would with a narrower glass. I just added a few granny rows and a border with some picot stitches in the corners.
Since the square coaster idea didn't work, I decided to try a round variation on the Granny theme, and went with this pattern, intended for Christmas ornaments, and added a round of slip stitching on the backside, to give it a slightly raised edge.