Saturday, June 22, 2013

Shakespeare Shrine

This is another shrine I made for pinkleo in the Shrine Swap, and was based off her request for “anything Shakespeare related”. 


The base is an ATC Shrine Kit from Tiny Things are Cute, along with the tiny books and tiny tankard.  I painted, stamped, and “shimmered” the shrine base pieces before assembly.  (I have to say that Linda Cain's tutorial over on FRIENDS in Art was incredibly helpful!)  The image of Shakespeare himself is actually a vintage cigarette card from 1924.  Yep, it’s just about 90 years old! The crown on Shakespeare and the one on the skull, as well as the “play” charm, pawn, heart lock, stone owl, letter beads and skull bead all came out of my stash. The scroll of paper at the top reads, “He was not of an age, but for all time,” which is a quote about Shakespeare by fellow playwright Ben Johnson. 


Many of the items in the shrine are references to famous lines from Shakespeare’s plays.

Crown on Shakespeare:
“My crown is in my heart, not on my head;
Not decked with diamonds and Indian stones,
Nor to be seen: my crown is called content:
A crown it is that seldom kings enjoy. – Henry IV

Crown on skull:
“Give me my robe. Put on my crown. I have
Immortal longings in me. Now no more
The juice of Egypt’s grape shall moist this lip.” – Cleopatra, Antony and Cleopatra

Heart: “A heart to love, and in that heart, Courage, to make love known” – Macbeth

Skull: “Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him.” - Hamlet

Pawn: "My life I never held but as a pawn to wage against thy enemies” – Kent, King Lear

Tankard: “I would give my fame for a pot of ale and safety” – King Henry V (my very favorite Shakespeare play)

Shell: “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite” – Juliet, Romeo & Juliet

Owl: “Believe me love it was the owl,” which is actually from the film Shakespeare in Love ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment