Saturday, June 22, 2013

Shrine to the Goddess of Crafty Inspiration

This shrine was created for Pinkleo in the Shrine Swap.  It is an assemblage shrine to someone we all worship, the Goddess of Crafty Inspiration.


The wooden frame came from the dollar store, and the bits and bobs that make it up came from my stash, work, my car, the craft store, Knickertwist’s garden, and a many came from sheepBlue in a bundle of goodies she sent me in the IYP 23 Swap.  (sheepBlue, can you find all nine?)


Metal tag, acrylic crystal jewel, thimble, charm, and domino.


Vintage glass button and wooden thread spool.


Burned out headlight from my car, and carnelian stones to lend energy to craftiness.


Vintage game token, buttons and a tiny Delft shoe.


Bird's nest with a broken rhinestone earring, freshwater pearls, and vintage buttons.


Vintage watch face, tin, and pen nib charm.


Vintage vial full of seashells, bottle of freshwater pearls and Swarovski crystal beads, shell, metal rose, and sleeping moon face.


Copper key, broken enameled bumblebee earring, wooden letters, lace, ceramic owl bead and a piece of licorice root.

For anyone interested in the process, I first painted the entire base in black craft paint.  The cubbies were then painted with a crackle medium, so that the over layers of paint would crack to reveal the black beneath. Next of course, is the contrast paint, which crackled nicely over the crackle medium.

After that, I laid out all the items where I wanted them, and then took pictures so I wouldn't forget where anything went!  Next I glued in the very back layer of items.  (The things that lay flat against the back.)  The paper items were put in with archival safe book binding glue, and the more solid items were put in with E6000, the best glue ever made.  After those all dried, it was time for a layer of standing items, and the gluing and waiting process repeated in that way for several more sessions.  I usually let the shrine rest for at least 8 hours after putting things in.  Some items were after thoughts, and were a little tougher to arrange after other components had gone in, like the lace behind the key in the bottom right box.  That was inserted with tweezers and toothpicks well after the key & “MAKE” letters. 



The metal pieces on the front came from my stash of Tim Holtz goodies.  I used some Vintaj metal paint in agate to highlight the words, and wiped it off the front, and distressed them slightly with a Vintaj reliefing block.  After all that was done, I painted the back burgundy, and distressed it with a sanding block, before stamping it, and highlighting the stamped areas with a gold gel pen.  Finally, I added a row of fabric measuring tape around the outside edge.


No comments:

Post a Comment