Thursday, May 21, 2020

Scrappy Have a Heart Quilt Top

After making 2 quilt tops for Edel in the Go Bananas Swap, I was still on a quilting high.  I still had tons of fabric stash to bust, so I decided to make one more quilt top.  A Youtube video I watched a couple weeks ago suggested managing your scrap fabric by cutting everything into 4 different sizes: 5" wide strips, 5" squares, 2.5" wide strips, and 2.5" squares.  Since I already had a bunch of 2.5" strips leftover from previous quilt designs, I started with that.
I looked through a ton of strip quilt designs, and found one that could work well with my very scrappy rainbow bundle of strips.  The pattern is called Have a Heart by J. Michelle Watts.  The rainbow includes fabrics from countless wedding and baby quilts made for friends and family over the years.  The ivory background is from a linen-cotton sheet.
Here it is laying on a queen bed.  It's not quite as big as a queen quilt, but easily could be with the addition of a border or two.  I haven't figured out where it's going yet, so I haven't decided if I should add some more borders, but for now it feels 'done'.
I'm really happy with how it came out, but after 3 quilt tops, I think it's time to clean up the fabrics in my studio, and play with some other crafts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment