Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Stash Busting Star Blanket

 I have a dear friend who is expecting.  I wanted to work on something for her that would be cheerful and gender neutral, and hopefully work through some yarn in my stash.  I found two skeins of acrylic purchased to make one row each in the 13th Doctor's Scarf, a pretty buttercup yellow and soft soothing turquoise.  I picked up one skein of speckled white yarn to tie them together.  It had lots of colors in it, but yellow and turquoise showed up a lot, with some blue, green, pink, and purple.

The pattern is the 6 Day Star Blanket from Betty McKnit.  I spent more like 3 weeks working on it, off and on as I felt like it.  The pattern is bands of granny and bands of double crochet, with rows of single crochet between them.  I started with all the granny in yellow, all the double crochet in turquoise, and the single crochet in the white speckled yarn, but towards the end I was running out of yarn.  I didn't want to buy more, only to have more to stash bust, so I made do with what I had, for a slightly unusual final border.

 The final row of granny was subbed in with white, and I used up the last of the turquoise on a third row of double crochet, before finishing off nearly all the yellow with a final row of single crochet along the edge.  I think it makes the blanket pop.


No comments:

Post a Comment