Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Love Wins


On Friday morning started off like any other.  I got up, walked the dog, went to the gym for my regular workout, had breakfast with my husband who was on vacation, took a showers, and was in my studio trying to get another round of my rag rug finished before a midday yoga class.  Jim called from the living room that I needed to stop what I was doing and check the news.  He sounded both serious and laughing at the same time.  I asked what was wrong as I frantically pulled up Google News.  Just as I read the first headline he answered: The Supreme Court had just ruled in Obergefell vs. Hodges.  Marriage equality was now the law of the land.


I frantically read through the articles flying up on Googles News, and flipped through Facebook.  As I saw such an outpouring of joy, so much support and love posted over and over, I couldn't help the tears that started to fall.  They fell for my friends and family who have struggled for so long to be accepted, to be heard, and to be treated the same as every other citizen of this country.  They fell for my husband, and how much his love has meant to me in the past ten years, and the joy in knowing that everyone will now have the same opportunity to experience that kind of love and commitment.  They fell for the children I hope to have someday, who will be born into a world where he right to marry whomever they love is fundamental.


I pulled myself together and rushed over to yoga, where I simply could not keep my mind on my breath.  It was both a distracted, and a fantastic practice.  Afterwards I wanted to celebrate so Jim & I went out for sushi and bubble tea.  As the day went on, despite my wonderful mood, I started to worry about the backlash that would inevitably show up somewhere.  I started to scroll through my Facebook newsfeed a little more carefully.  But you know what happened?  The love just got louder.  The support just kept coming.  For a full 24 hours, everything I saw was so positive and joyful.  It filled my heart all over again.


I'm sure there is plenty of negativity spewing forth out in the world over the issue, but it was a joy to see that none of that found it's way into the posts of the people I call friends.  After so much happiness, I knew I had to craft something out of my emotional high.  So here it is.  What could I call it besides Love Wins?  Because that's what love does.  It is the best of us, the best of what we can be.  It pulls us out of despair, it reminds us that we are not alone, it heals deep woulds.  Love wins.







No comments:

Post a Comment