downloaded the free pattern, and started hooking. Sadly it just wasn't working for me as written, with this particular yarn. I ended up frogging the whole thing (not easy with this yarn!), and starting over.
I increased the number of stitches in Round 1 to 12, and in Round 2 to 24. This led to more loops in the finished piece, but I compensated by reducing the number of chain spaces between double crochets in later rounds. Finally, I didn't have quite enough yarn to do all the rounds, so I ended up doing the first 7, then doing a round of picots & slip stitches. It was a bit more frustrating that I had hoped for when I picked the pattern to take out with me, but I'm happy with how it came out, and plan to try it again with another sari yarn in my stash.